Please be aware that this is a special faculty position for an academic-clinical partnership faculty role. It includes a dual appointment. The selected candidate will hold a Nurse Practitioner position at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, VT, and a Faculty position at the MGH Institute of Health Professions School of Nursing in Charlestown, MA. The selected candidate will be based primarily at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, VT, but will need to travel to Charlestown, MA for faculty work.
The incumbent will function as nurse practitioner (NP) faculty for the VANAP-GE Program at a minimum of 0.5 FTE and a maximum of a 1.0 FTE, and may provide care for an identified patient panel. In the clinical role, an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) has prescriptive authority and applies the nursing process and care management principles within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting, enabling the effective implementation of health promotion and prevention practices and management of acute and chronic illnesses. In the academic role, the incumbent will teach graduate-level NP courses, provide academic advising and clinical supervision of students, participate in scholarly activity as appropriate and feasible, and participate in committee work, public service and professional organizations.
Essential Duties of Program Faculty Role
- Collaborates with the VANAP-GE program Co-Directors on graduate level academic policies, faculty personnel, fiscal and instructional policies.
- Participates in the development and delivery of VANAP-GE graduate and residency level program offerings, residency curricula, and NP residency standards, assessment/accreditation processes, and maintains compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Assists with recruitment and enrollment of NP students and residents into the VANAP-GE program, including reviewing recruitment materials, consulting with School of Nursing staff in evaluation of credentials and transcripts of NP applicants, and conduct admission interviews for NP students and residents. Serves as NP student and resident mentor and academic advisor and provide clinical supervision of students.
- Identifies and recruits clinical preceptors for VANAP-GE NP students and residents. Evaluates VANAP-GE NP clinical preceptors, assesses and supports faculty professional development, evaluates teaching performance, and serves as mentor for VARHS NP clinical preceptors.
- Establishes and cultivates liaisons with White River Junction VAMC clinical sites and National Centers/Field Offices, MGH Institute School of Nursing (SON) and other VA facilities and academic institutions as appropriate to foster clinical placements and the success of the VANAP-GE program.
- Assists with program evaluations, periodic progress reports and an annual report on the VANAP-GE program.
- Participates in and provide leadership to VANAP-GE, WRJ VA and MGH Institute SON committees.
- Performs duties in support of the VANAP-GE program as assigned by the VANAP-GE program Co-Directors.
Essential Duties of Nurse Practitioner Role
- Functions as a provider and oversees care to patients in the outpatient setting, acting as clinical preceptor to NP students and residents in the VANAP-GE program.
- Core NP functions include diagnosing and treating acute and chronic health care problems, including managing minor trauma and performing procedures as specified through the privileging process; performing adult-gerontology care assessments; and prescribing medication and treatments. This includes patient's medical and mental health concerns, defining the management of these problems, and determining the need for consultations.
- Teaches health promotion and disease prevention to patients. Provides pharmacologic management of patients in accordance with defined scope of practice. Responsible and accountable for overseeing the coordination of care focused on patient transition through the continuum of care, patient and family education, patient self-management, and supporting factors that impact customer satisfaction.
- Consults/collaborates with other team members, provides leadership in improving patient care, maintaining standards of care, and directing and teaching personnel in a variety of settings.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement Process for the clinical area/facility and maintains oversight and responsibility for professional practice.