RN II positions available for ICU, ER, Med/Surg, OR, Orthopedics, Case Management, Women's Services and Perioperative.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 73 operating rooms and over 5,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- LEADERSHIP a. Provides care to increasingly complex patients and coordinates the interdisciplinary team. (Quality/Safety) b. Identifies and presents areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and offers solutions by participating in unit projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) c. Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of peers. (People) d. Provides input into the unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (Finance) e. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
- PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE a. Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient`s priorities and abilities. (Service) b. Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) c. Supports patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues. (Service) d. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
- CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING a. Follows the nursing process, modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient`s condition, demonstrates clinical problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. (Quality/Safety) b. Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations. (Quality/Safety) c. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
- COMMUNICATION a. Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, lis10s and responds to the ideas of others. (People) b. Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) c. Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the plan of care. (Service)
- TEAMWORK a. Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation, organizes multiple priorities and anticipates/plans for potential problems. (Quality/Safety) b. Uses downtime efficiently, aware of team members` workload, consistently offers assistance, and responds positively to requests for assistance from other team members. (People) c. Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation)
- SAFETY a. Reports ¿near misses¿ as well as errors promptly and consistently to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) b. Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary team concerning safety data to improve outcomes. (Quality/Safety) c. Implements unit and hospital initiatives to achieve National Patient Safety Goals. (Quality/Safety)
- EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH a. Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Initiates evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on these observations. (Innovation/Growth(EF)) b. Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents options to shared governance and leadership. (Quality/Safety) c. Assures that designated core measures are met in providing care. (Quality/Safety)
- STAFF EDUCATION a. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (Growth/Innovation) b. Implements staff education specific to patient populations and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. May include preceptorship. (People)
- PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS a. Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide.
- Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
- Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing Bachelor`s degree required for new hires at TMH, preferred at TMH system hospitals 10 CEU`s annually (5 within specialty)
- At least 18 months' experience required
- Registered nurse with current Texas license Basic Life Support (BLS), certification must be approved by the American Heart Association Other certifications as required by unit/service.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must be able to write and speak effectively in English Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, Competence of Nursing Staff and HR 07 Competency Assessment
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
RN II positions available for ICU, ER, Med/Surg, OR, Orthopedics, Case Management, Women's Services
Work Shift - Days or Nights
Location - Multiple locations
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- Houston Methodist West Hospital
- Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
- Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
- Houston Methodist St. Catherine Hospital
- Houston Methodist St. John Hospital
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!!