Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., Health Network Laboratories (HNL) is a multiregional, full-service medical laboratory facility serving the needs of more than 10,000 satisfied health care providers in the public and health care communities. We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Molecular Scientist. Successful candidate will have influence in NextGen Sequencing Molecular Genetics Laboratory to accurately identify and precisely classify variants/mutations detected through standard clinical genetic testing.
Duties to include:
- Performs duties delegated under the authority of CLIA 88 CFR Section 493 .
- Maintains knowledge and remains proficient in the use of molecular genetic equipment and instruments including incubators, darkroom equipment, centrifuges, thermal cyclers, freezers, autoclaves, and biohazard hoods.
- Prepares critical laboratory reagents (PCR master mixes, primer working stocks, and solutions). -
- Will perform and/or oversee set up of DNA extraction procedures for a variety of cells and tissue types.
- Ensures maximum quality and yield by following optimized protocols for extraction and using pre-determined storage conditions for specimen material.
- Sets up PCR and sequencing reactions using a standardized protocol for each test that is performed.
- Ensures maximum quality by following optimized protocols.
- Transfers sequencing data into automated analysis software.
- Prepares chromatogram printouts and recognizes sequence abnormalities.
- Uses standard nomenclature for human gene mutations in preparing summary of alterations.
- Able to identify polymorphic variants with the use of approved/authorized polymorphism database.