GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position provides highly specialized and complex nursing care/procedures to patients. Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and coordinating patient care. Responsible for the achievement of patient outcomes through implementation of critical pathways and in accordance with the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Serves as a team leader and coordinates nursing care for patients as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Assesses plans, evaluates and ensures the implementation of age specific patient care to achieve identified outcomes.
- Assesses learning needs and educates patient according to patient’s level of understanding.
- Utilizes specialized nursing knowledge, standards, process and discriminative judgment when planning and/or implementing direct or indirect care.
Implements appropriate standards of care based on assessment data and patient’s goals. Greets patients, verifies patient identity, assesses patient’s physical needs, alleviates patient anxiety, and checks chart for necessary MA documentation. Collaborates with healthcare professionals and ensures provision of patient care in an organized and timely manner. Assists physician/clinical staff and prepares equipment as needed. Provides necessary supportive equipment for patient comfort (i.e., pillows, blankets, protective paddings, etc…). Positions patient with awareness of body alignment, circulation and pressure points. Demonstrates ability to direct and provide patient care in emergency situations. Promotes physical comfort and provides emotional support and safety for patient. Documents nursing care and medication administration in the EMR in a timely manner and within clinic hours on a daily basis. Provides patient education regarding medications, physician instructions and procedures. . Provides nursing care and appropriate monitoring according to policies and procedures. Properly labels and cares for specimens. Practices and monitors aseptic techniques. Communicates relevant information to clinical and administrative staff. Performs and assigns patient care responsibilities based on patient needs and abilities of available staff. Revises plan of care based on change in patient status or staffing change. Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations. Initiates appropriate infection control measures. Provides input regarding equipment and supply needs. Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques. Adheres to established safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment. Delivers safe patient care according to policy and procedure Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment/machinery and follows procedures for reporting/correcting an unsafe situation. Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and practice. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice. Maintains certification and license requirements and submits required evidence of certification/licensure as needed. Assists with staff education as needed. Adheres to all policies and procedures. Regular attendance is an essential job function Completes annual performance and competency evaluation process with management and participates in goal setting, performance improvement and educational training as needed. Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs/activities. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations. Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested. Adheres to HIPAA regulations. Performs related work as required.
- Only Chemo and Biotherapy Provider RNs can verify and administer chemo/bio/immunotherapy.
- Provides licensed verification of chemotherapy/biotherapy/immunotherapy for admixture technician.
- Adheres to oncology-specific policies and procedures that ensure two independent Chemo and Biotherapy Provider RNs verify patient eligibility prior to treatment: correct regimen, cycle and day of treatment; antineoplastic drug information; date of treatment; appropriate monitoring specific to agent administered; drug doses based on patient BSA calculations day of treatment; two patient identifiers at chairside.
- Implements the Standardized Procedures specific to oncology infusion in a timely and informed manner.
- Administers chemotherapy/biotherapy/immunotherapy according to oncology-specific policies and procedures.
- Ensures that patients are properly scheduled for treatment regimens ordered.
- Assumes leadership in the event of a chemo/bio/immunotherapy spill and implements Spill Management Policy and Procedure.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to provide and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments specific to department specialty. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide on-going patient care. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner. Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s medical and nursing care. Ability to set priorities. Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to communicate clearly in English.