**Sign-on bonus of $2,500 for Experienced Dialysis RNs (chronic or acute)**
Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at www.satellitehealth.com.
The Acute Dialysis Nurse (Acute Nurse) is responsible for the delivery of safe, quality care of dialysis treatments under indirect supervision in accordance with state law and policies and procedures. The Acute Nurse is required to make independent decisions using professional nursing knowledge. The Acute Nurse directs, assists, and is the primary resource for the Acute Patient Care Technician (Acute PCT) providing direct services to the patients.
1. Understands basic renal function and the consequences of renal failure. In addition, understands the underlying disease processes contributing to necessary dialytic and related therapies. Provides, directs, and supervises the care of the patients undergoing hemodialysis, CRRT, peritoneal dialysis, and other therapeutic treatment modalities supported by the Acute Dialysis Program. In addition, shows an awareness of the general course of all patients on treatment.
2. Provides direction and education to the Acute PCTs under their supervision.
3. Uses professional discretion in critical or emergency situations and directs the necessary intervention. Recognizes changes in patient's condition on dialysis and makes necessary adjustments in their therapy. Notifies the physician in a timely manner, providing the appropriate information, and implements physician's orders.
4. Makes assignments, when working with Acute PCTs, based on priorities for patient care and skill level of the staff. Consistently reviews and evaluates patient priorities as changes occur in the condition of the patient or facility. Directs Acute PCTs in work assignments to address these changes. Revises patient schedule and assignments for maximum efficiency on a daily basis.
5. Delegates functions to others as needed to comply with management objectives. Assures that all tasks necessary for the safe, smooth, and efficient operation of the unit are completed.
6. Communicates significant information to the physicians, hospital staff, and case managers in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
7. Policies & Procedures
a. Is knowledgeable and provides oversight in compliance with policies and procedures.
Understands the consequences associated with failing to follow company procedures.
b. Makes recommendations for changes in policies and procedures for improvement of
patient care or staff compliance.
c. Effectively communicates with staff and patients regarding changes or new policies and
8. Provides assistance to patients and/or staff in problem resolution, and has the ability to make decisions based on nursing knowledge and compliance with policies & procedures. Maintains accountability for independent decisions.
9. Documents in a clear, concise and thorough manner. Ensures staff documents thoroughly and completes documentation in both manual and online medical records.
10. Verifies the accuracy of all orders during treatment and either implements them or delegates appropriate staff to deliver the care.
11. Infection Control
a. Understands and adheres to all infection control policies and procedures and provides
instructions to co-workers as needed. Understands the consequences associated with
failing to follow those procedures.
b. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
c. Follows all clean/dirty procedures in order to eliminate cross-contamination.
d. Proper procedure for cannulation using aseptic technique for needle insertion, catheter
care* and all other required procedures.
Special note: * Has documented training in the care and procedures for patients with central lines catheters. Delegates such procedures only to those who have completed adequate training and it is within their scope of practice.
12. Understands and teaches principles of medication administration and possible side effects. Administers and ensures that medications are given as ordered with correct technique.
13. Laboratory Work
a. Obtains laboratory specimens as ordered.
14. Demonstrates an understanding of the implications of common lab results as they apply to the ESRD patient. Ensures that laboratory specimens are obtained as ordered, and confers with physician about abnormal findings.
15. Understands the basic legal consequences of nursing actions both immediate and long-term.
16. Promotes the education of patients and their understanding of the disease and its treatment.
a. Accurately assesses patient's readiness to learn.
b. Plans and implements appropriate teaching method for each patient.
c. Evaluates the patient's learning progress.
d. Assists other staff members in developing these skills.
17. Participates in dialysis call schedule as assigned.
18. Demonstrates the ability to assume the day-to-day functions of the Clinical Manager in their absence, i.e. staffing, patient assignments, etc.
1. Assumes responsibility for special Acute projects as directed by the Clinical Manager.
2. Actively participates in the Acute Program Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) process.
3. Develops and/or participates in in-service education programs.
4. Assists in orientation of new staff members as directed by the Clinical Manager.
5. Maintains professional competence through participation in continuing education and annual competency reviews.
6. Maintains standards of cleanliness in assigned area.
7. Leads in CPR as needed.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Promotes a teamwork approach and participating in team nursing by offering information, advice, and assistance to all Acute staff members in a positive, courteous, and cooperative manner.
2. Contributes to harmonious and constructive working relationships with all staff members to promote a positive and productive atmosphere.
3. Contributes to performance evaluations and competency testing for patient care staff.
4. Ensures the confidentiality of patient and employee information according to HIPAA and polices and procedures.