The Night Ministry is a Chicago-based organization that works to provide housing, health care and human connection to members of our community struggling with poverty or homelessness. With an open heart and an open mind, we accept people as they are and work to address their immediate physical, emotional and social needs while affirming their sense of humanity.
FLSA status: Exempt
Department: Outreach and Health Ministry (OHM)
Reports to: Director, OHM
Position Summary: Coordinate activities related to the provision of medical services, public health education and HIV testing.
General Purpose: Manage all aspects of community health, including community needs assessment, public health education, medical services, and HIV testing across sites, which includes data collection, liaising, nursing services, outreach, testing, follow-up and staff supervision and coordination.
- Provide leadership in the design and maintenance of the health outreach program, collaborating with the OHM Director and Outreach Services Manager.
- Primarily responsible, in partnership with the Mission Fulfillment team for data entry, tracking and reporting for program management and funding reports. Oversees data management expectations of HIV Testing Coordinator and Nurse Practitioners.
- Working closely with Director of OHM, Senior VP and Director of Mission Fulfillment, review street survey data and conduct community needs assessments in each neighborhood served by OHM.
- Develop public health education programs tailored to the needs of each individual neighborhood.
- Work closely with the Development Department to seek funding and complete proposals to fund programming activities.
- Conduct direct public health outreach campaigns with visitors to the Outreach Bus and will be expected to work some nights and be a regular presence at the Bus to conduct health campaigns.
- Recruit, coordinate, supervise, and support the medical staff, interns, and volunteers. Coordinate their training and supervision, including working closely with the volunteer Medical Director to provide supervision and support, including on-the-street.
Provide and supervise HIV antibody testing, pre- and post-test counseling, and outreach to Outreach Bus sites and sites throughout the city, targeting most at-risk populations.
- Reporting to this position: Nurse Practitioners, HIV Testing Coordinator
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; climb stairs; crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 20 pounds and drive an automobile. The employee must be able to stand outdoors for as log as six hours or more, exposed to all varieties of Chicago weather conditions. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but may vary at the different locations required in this job.
- Compensation: position offers base salary with benefits package.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all organization policies and regulations specified by the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the State of Illinois, and The Night Ministry.