This position is PRN (As Needed). Works under the direct supervision of a licensed physical/occupational/speech therapist and/or physical/occupational therapist assistant to perform therapeutic treatment. Assists as an acute care physical medicine team member encouraging and promoting independence of the patient and the patient's family.
JOB SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES:
1. Maintains consistency with Administrative and Departmental policies with appropriate behavior, dress, attitude, attendance, confidentiality, professionalism, and reliability.
2. Interacts with patients at level of expertise of an Acute Care Physical Medicine Tech and in a manner keeping with CHRISTUS St. Michael philosophy to encourage, educate, assist patients to reach their maximum functional level.
3. Transfers patients to and from bed, mat, commode, wheelchair, chair, automobile, etc. as directed by therapist.
4. Assist therapist with therapeutic exercises, treatments, community re-entry, home evaluations, gait training, etc. under therapist supervision.
5. Accurately performs and reports vital signs and pulse 02 SAT, HR, PR, BP readings to therapist.
6. Maintains temperature log for hydroculator, paraffin bath and whirlpool. Fills O2 tanks daily and maintains wheelchairs, walkers and/or assistive devices that may be in use for the department on a daily basis. Also, maintains splint pan and/or any occupational equipment that serve the patient's treatment needs.
7. Assumes responsibility for therapeutic treatment set up/clean up, maintaining treatment area/hydro/wound care areas and patient rooms for readiness and safety as directed by therapist. Accurately reports to therapist regarding the exact location of tech as the patients are being treated on their work list. Prepares patient for treatment sessions by obtaining proper equipment articles for therapist. Assumes responsibility for time management of work list to therapist. Assures that all soiled linen is removed and placed in the soiled utility area.
8. Assists with admissions assessment, discharge and transfers as applicable to outpatients that are treated in the department.
9. Assists patients with functional training for independence in all gait activities, therapeutic activities, wound care, and modalities that are supervised by the therapist. Reports to the supervising therapist any change of condition of the patient.
10. Performs clerical duties i.e., patient scheduling, patient billing, generations of daily work lists, addressographing documents, filing, daily entries of patient charges into HBO system, up-dating current orders/therapist instructions, re-checking charge master for previous day' charge entries, re-stocking the charts and unit station areas for appropriate documentation for the department, etc.
11. Accepts responsibility for performance of clerical duties to deliver quality service.
12. Contributes to the fulfillment of departmental and organizational goals.
13. Supports patient care activities.
14. Implements measures to promote a safe environment for patients and others.
15. Respects the patient's right to privacy by protecting confidential information unless obligated or allowed by law to disclose the information.
16. Assists in the provision of individualized goal directed therapy care.
17. Participates in patient/family education.
18. Demonstrates competence to perform skills for which training has been provided. See Tech skills checklist.