Providence is calling a Laboratory Technician (Full time/Day shift) to Providence Saint John's Health Center Santa Monica, CA.
In this position you will:
Is responsible for some or all of the following duties in one or more laboratory sections: Hematology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Lab Outreach, or Histopathology
- Coordinates designated daily functions in Laboratory section where assigned.
- Coordinates and participates in specimen collections, prepares specimens for testing, dispatches specimens to section or referral laboratories.
- Follow laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Receives, processes, and disseminates requests, specimens, reports, and test results as indicated.
- Receives and gives testing information.
- Checks for abnormal or variant results, enters results into computer.
- Adheres to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities; instrument and procedural calibrations.
- Prepares reagents, media, or blood components, as needed.
- Operates automated testing instruments, runs quality control standards.
- Contributes to quality assurance program: Data Collection, Statistical Analysis
- General: Surpath Supplies/reagents; office supplies; Manuals, Safety procedures; TAT, QC (Daily, weekly) protocol; Computer training – login specimens, charginout cases; patient info; Phones (Direct calls, STAT results); Add-ons, Storage, inventory; Autopsy reports.
- Open & setup SurgPath (Cryostat, Stain setup; Bone specimens; Surg Schedule; Specimen accessioning; Cassette prep; Assist Grossing; Pathologist contact-Frozen Section;Tissue Processor load; Daily prep.
- Special Procedures/Sendout protocol.
- Assists Pathologist.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- California State Phlebotomy Certificate required (for phlebotomy)
- Six months phlebotomy experience required, if assigned to Phlebotomy
- Ability to deal effectively with many people
- Excellent human relations and oral / written communications skills
- Must be able to prioritize, organize, and coordinate care
- Good manual dexterity and mobility
- Medical Terminology
- Computer literate
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Some College credits
- One year office work experience
- One year laboratory experience
- Six months Acute Care Hospital experience
About the hospital you will serve:
Providence Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, California, is part of Providence Health & Services, an integrated, not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, medical clinics, home health services, affiliated services and educational facilities in the western United States. Founded in 1942, Providence Saint John's Health Center enjoys a reputation for clinical excellence across many disciplines.
The 266-bed health center has a medical staff of more than 900 physicians, 1,800 employees and a host of volunteers who share a commitment to providing quality care for all.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Lab (Medical Technologist, Medical Lab Technologist)
Location: California-Santa Monica
Req ID: 140491