The Physician - Pathologist position is located in the Pathology and Laboratory Service at the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center. Duties will include surgical pathology gross and microscopic examinations and all attendant functions including coding and report verification. Grossexamination of specimens fixed I formalin will occur on a daily or every other day basis during scheduled working days.The surgical reports are coded for CPT, VAMC tissue committee, SNOMED and ICD-9 components. Interpretations will occur as per routine surgical pathology practice. Autopsies are done on site at the JCM VAMC. Cytology reports will be reviewed with provider notification as needed. Currently, Cytology, other than reading cell blocks on FNA's and fluids, are not done on site but may be added duties as appropriated for this position.Currently, immunostains are not performed on station but knowledge of use and application of immunostains is a requirement of the position. Other functions of the position are consulting with Medical Center Staff and Laboratory Staff on an as needed basis, and the peer review of all first time malignancies, all prostate biopsies, 10% of cases randomly selected by computer and any other grouping of cases as determined necessary by peer review results. An individual pathologist will review cases of other pathologist as prescribed and another pathologist will review the cases of the individual. Current practice is that there is 100% prospective review of all cases by a second pathologist before a case is finalized and released to the clinicians. The peer review process is protected and for QA purposes; will encompass the spectrum of privileges of the pathologist and will be used as information regarding competence when re-privileged. The incumbent will participate on hospital committees, hospital conferences; including Morbidity/Mortality, Ground Rounds and weekly Tumor Board.
Duty Location: Muskogee, OK
Tour of Duty:M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Recruitment or relocation incentive: is negotiable for highly qualified candidates.
EDRP may be approved.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Be able to conduct light lifting (under 15 pounds), light carrying (under 15 pounds), walking (4-6 hours), standing (4-6 hours), repeated bending (1-2 hours), ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, near vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors, ability to distinguish shades of colors, hearing (aid permitted), emotional stability.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
- U.S. Citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Licensure and Registration - Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must havebeen obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
- Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, o Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
References: Applicable reference and links. VA Handbook 5005/23, Part II, Appendix G2, Physician QUALIFICATION STANDARD , dated February 2009.
Salary determination will be based on a recommendation by the Professional Standards Board and approved by the Medical Center Director.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214(s), SF-15 (as applicable) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the applicationchecklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Form 10-2850)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
You must include VA Form 10-2850http://vaww4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf in your application package to be considered for this vacancy. You may upload the completed form to your USAJOBS or Application Manager account if you apply online.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete,do not fax the paper application (1203FX - Occupational Questionnaire Form) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1938489
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you are unable to apply online by 11:59 PM (EST) on TAG:Closing Date, please contact the point of contact listed in the announcement.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.