THIS POSITION IS BEING RE-ADVERTISED TO SOLICIT ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS.APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED PREVIOUSLY NEED NOT REAPPLY UNLESS SUBMITTING UPDATEDAND/OR MISSING INFORMATION.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Optometry Residency training opportunity is open to candidates who have or will be completing formal education with a Degree in Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) The IHS is now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 residency year. There are IHS Optometry residency programs in the following locations:
- Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility, Chinle, Arizona
- Crownpoint Health Care Facility, Crownpoint, New Mexico
- Fort Defiance Indian Hospital, Fort Defiance, Arizona
- Gallup Indian Medical Center, Gallup, New Mexico
- Hu Hu Kam Memorial Hospital, Sacaton, Arizona
- Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, New Mexico
- Santa Fe Indian Hospital, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Tuba City Hospital, Tuba City, Arizona
- Zuni Hospital, Zuni, New Mexico
IHS residences offer an excellent opportunity to learn in a progressive practice setting how to help improve the healthcare of Native Americans. Enjoy learning in a multidiciplinary and friendly team environment. The practice setting, cultural diversity, and recreational opportunities will make this your most rewarding optometry experience!