The physician works within the General Medicine Section of the Medical Service. Functions include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative responsibilities for the General Internal Medicine Section.
- Supervises all physicians, nurses, and technical personnel at sectional level assigned to General Internal Medicine as well as providing supervision, training, and teaching of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center General Internal Medicinestudents.
- Responsible for inpatient care and follow-up for patients admitted to the General Medicine units of Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC).
- Responsible for medical consultation to inpatients admitted to other services at Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) and medical management of patients managed on the Medicine/Psychiatry team.
- Admits, examine, treat, and discharge assigned patients; assess acute care admissions, confirm accuracy and completeness of the History and Physical (H&P) performed by house staff, and enter appropriate attending admission notes an all patients.
- Provides weekday in-patient medicine consultation to non-medical services, and in-patient perioperative consultation to surgical specialties.
- Ensures appropriate care, promotion of health, education, and counseling of family members and control of risk factors for all General Medicine patients.
- Ensures timely and efficient discharge of General Medicine in-patients, and ensures appropriate follow-up with either a specialty clinic and/or with primary care.
Location: Medical Service
Work schedule: Monday - Friday, day shift (8:00AM - 4:30PM).
Functional Statement Title: Physician (Section Chief, General Internal Medicine/000000).
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: No.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
NOTE: This is an Open Continuous Announcement.All eligible applicants that apply before this date will be referred to the selection manager. Any applicants that apply after this cut off date will bereviewed and sent to selecting officialupon the request.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
* U.S. citizenship - Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens.
* English language proficiency - Physician appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
* Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
* Licensure and Registration -Physicians must possess a current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or internal medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are: PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactory perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
* Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or
* Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
* For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
* For residents: current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia before the second year of VA residency, or meet any licensure, registration or other equivalent requirements established for residents of non-VA hospitals with which the VA facility is affiliated for training purposes. The resident must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
* Residency Training - Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are:
(1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G2 Physician Qualification Standard.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Completed Online Questionnaire
2. CV or Resume
3. VA Form 10-2850 - Application For Physicians, Dentist, Podiatrists, and Optometrists (Available at http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf) (REQUIRED-IF SELECTED)
4. Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
5. Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
6. If currently or previously employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1936541.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.