INTERPRETER - STROGER HOSPITAL
Job Number: 00120554
Job Posting: May 17, 2017, 1:59:34 PM
Closing Date: Jun 1, 2017, 12:59:00 AM Full-time Shift Start Time: 10:00 A.M. Shift End Time: 6:00 P.M.
Collective Bargaining Unit: AFSCME 1111 Health and Hospital Systems Posting Salary: $21.251 HOURLY
Organization: Health and Hospital Systems
John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital
1901 W. Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60612
Shift: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Under the supervision of the Director of Support Services, provides interpretation services to staff, patients and visitors at the Cook County Health & Hospital System. (CCHHS) Provides sight translations of written documents that may not be available in the patient's primary language. Assists in dispatching calls to other interpreter staff. Log and report daily and weekly interpretation requests and encounters. Prepare and submit reports regarding complaints and/or cases that require special attention and/or follow up. Participate in orientation and training of new volunteer interpreters. Travel to other CCHHS facilities to provide interpreter services as required.
- Provides interpretation services to CCHHS patients, staff, and visitors, including information for patient admission, discharges, registration, and clinic appointments.
- Provides sight translations of written documents that may not be available in the patient's primary language.
- Periodically translates into written format non-technical instructions, patient realated information, and simple medical forms.
- Assists in dispatching calls to other Interpreter staff as required.
- Utilizes the CyraCom Present Telephone Interpreter (OPI) system for language other than Spanish, Polish, and Cantonese/Mandarin.
- Responsible for logging and reporting daily and weekly interpretation requests and encounters for Monthly Statistical Reports.
- Prepares and submits reports regarding complaints, and/or cases that may require special attention and/or follow-up.
- Participates in orientation and training of new volunteer interpreters.
- Travels to other CCHHS facilities to provide interpreter services, as required.
- Other duties as assigned or required
- High School Diploma or G.E.D is required. (Must provide proof at time of interview)
- Successful completion of 40 hours or more of medical interpreting course is required.(Must provide proof of completion of program at time of interview)
- Ability to read, write and speak English and Spanish fluently (is required and will be assessed at time of interview)
MUST MEET ALL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION FILING.
- Two (2) years of experience in providing interpretation services in a health care setting.
- One (1) year of experience in translation form.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to get along with others
- Good organizational skills.
- Demonstrate good judgment.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
- To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, Are you a Military Veteran?
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver's License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER'S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
*Degrees awarded outside the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
*Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
*CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring upon or because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITAL SYSTEMS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER