Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org .
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Summary: The Patient Service Representative (PSR) II - Medical Assistant provides a series of duties and responsibilities.
Responsibilities: 1. Provide for the smooth running of the office by setting and revising priorities based on workload and anticipating needs and deadlines. Responsible for the overall appearance of the department.
2. Develops and maintains positive relationships with patients and families via prompt and caring response to questions, requests. Greet patients and patient families in a polite and respectful manner.
3. Able to prioritize and execute specific care for assigned patients in a timely and efficient manner under the direction of a licensed nurse.
4. Prepares patients for examination takes and records vital signs performs phlebotomy as needed administers medications as directed by the physician according to policy and procedure. Accurately collects, processes and submits laboratory specimens.
5. Accurately communicates patient findings and pertinent information utilizing appropriate communication and documentation process (e.g. SBAR) and report patient complaints and/or signs of distress/pain promptly to the nurse responsible for the patient.
6. Maintain appointment calendars for physicians and schedule patient visits or other diagnostic testing utilizing hospital procedures and resources.
7. Perform point-of-service activities such as visit preparation, co-payment collection and patient tracking.
8. Follow through on routine tasks and general office duties (i.e., faxing, copying, filing, mailings, promptly returning phone calls, etc.). Cleans and prepares exam rooms.
9. Documentation of care within the EPIC system will be completed in a precise, accurate manner abiding by established guidelines for charting.
10. Follows policies and procedures in the delivery of care to ensure a safe environment for patients, families and other staff members.
11. Completes all assignments during scheduled working hours.
12. Other duties as required.
Other information: Technical Expertise 1. Working knowledge of computerized appointment scheduling system, patient billing, insurance claim processing and other office related functions.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively via telephone or face-to-face with patients, patient families, physicians and other staff members within the facility.
3. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and coordinate completion in a timely and accurate manner.
4. Experience working in a healthcare and knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
5. Ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute (wpm) is required.
6. Experience working in electronic charting software (e.g. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
7. Experience working in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar software is required.
Education and Experience 1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is required Associate's degree in related field is preferred.
2. Certification: Completion of state approved Medical Assistant Program, EMT or Paramedic Program is required.
3. Certification: Basic Life Saving (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association is required.
4. Phlebotomy certification is preferred.
5. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience is preferred.
6. Years of supervisory experience: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: