Medical Laboratory Technician Molecular Diagnostics
Akron Children's Hospital
Location: Akron, Ohio
Internal Number: 7172
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org .
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Part Time (16 hours per week), Days, Includes weekend and holiday rotation
New Rates of Pay!
Responsible for the collection, processing and testing of laboratory specimens on all patient types to aid in the diagnosis of disease. Testing of specimens requires knowledge and application of laboratory science techniques, attention to detail and quality control, demonstrated skill with sophisticated testing equipment and computers, as well as trouble-shooting and maintenance skills to maintain accurate functioning of equipment.
1. Performs routine and complex laboratory tests.
2. Operates a variety of instrumentation and equipment in order to assist the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
3. Prioritizes varying test requests.
4. Follow all hospital policies and procedures as well as all laboratory policies and procedures including but not limited to: specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient results.
5. Addresses patients and families in an appropriate manner for patient's age and level of understanding.
6. Reports critical information for physician or caregiver as indicated by policy and within acceptable timeframes.
7. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in clinical laboratory setting including recent experience in multiple laboratory disciplines is preferred
2. Experience with performing high complexity testing is required.
3. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
4. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
5. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Associate degree in coursework defined by the American Society for Clinical Pathology [ASCP] is required. Bachelor's degree is preferred.
2. Certification: Certification or eligibility for certification by ASCP at the Technologist level or grandfather at the Technologist level prior to 2004 is required. Certification obtained within 12 months from the start date in the position is required.
3. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 or more years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: