Position Summary: We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Manager of Employee & Labor Relations.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for cultivating a positive employee relations environment by assisting in the development of employee relations activities at NYU Langone Health. Designs, implements, and maintains programs to facilitate a positive relationship with non-union employees and union represented employees in line with the institution’s goals. Works with leadership and department supervisors to cultivate commitment among department staff in support of its priorities. By understanding issues at the department level, functions as a strategic resource of information and support to department management to resolve concerns. Engages in activities which ensure Employee Relations is viewed as a beneficial and accessible resources for leadership and employees.
* Provides advice, information, guidance, and assistance to NYU Langone Health leadership in the administration of policies and procedures, performance assessment, contract interpretation, disciplinary and grievance issues, including corrective action for a large variety of departments at NYU Langone Health (including those involving high levels of management and are politically or union sensitive).
* Grievance Administration – Responds to questions and problems regarding policy interpretation and implementation. Investigates the issues raised and gathers all pertinent data before making a recommendation. Interprets the collective bargaining agreement for union employees based on an analysis of each situation, maintaining consistency and considering past practices. Recommends appropriate performance evaluation or disciplinary action as needed.
* Arbitration – Reviews positions/arguments for cases via written summary in preparation for arbitration. Initiates and extends recommendations for terms of settlement for grievances in lieu of arbitration. Prepares thorough analysis of arbitrations and third-step, non-union grievances specifying the strengths and weaknesses of the positions of both parties. Assists legal counsel in preparing for and representing NYU Langone Health at arbitrations and third-party proceedings as required.
* Third-Party Proceedings – Investigates charges or complaints, filed with third-party agencies. Conducts investigations into allegations contained with the charge. Interview supervisors, witnesses, and other involved parties to assist in the preparation of a response to the charge. Provides assistance to legal counsel in responding to complaints and third-party proceedings, including Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), NY State or City Dept. of Human Rights Charges, National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) charges. Represent NYU Langone Health at conferences, hearings, etc.
* Training – Researches, develops, designs, and presents training programs/sessions in all areas of Employee Relations. Researches material to develop courses and work with departmental leadership to determine future needs.
* Collective Bargaining – Participates in negotiations with Local 1199 SEIU, Local One Security Officers Union, Local 32BJ SEIU, and/or Local 810 Teamsters as required. Identifies and researches potential issues which may arise during negotiations. Analyzes the union's proposal for the feasibility of acceptance. Prepares viable counter-proposals as necessary. Consults with other sections within Human Resources to determine the impact proposed contract terms may have on NYU Langone Health. Consults with Department Heads to ascertain their priorities and the feasibility of their acceptance.
* Legal & Regulatory Compliance – Ensures NYU Langone Health complies with federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to Employee Relations. Maintains an awareness of current regulatory requirements, interprets legislation (either new or changes to current), and court decisions on various employee relations issues as they affect the NYU Langone Health on an ongoing basis. Meets with representatives of the various regulatory agencies to provide them with requested data and ensure compliance. Reviews decisions and recommendations of regulatory agencies and initiates changes in response to deficiencies or regulatory requirements.
* Metrics – Maintains current, detailed, and accurate information on work output within Salesforce. Maintains current and accurate information on the status of assigned Grievances and Arbitrations within Onbase and Grievance Log.
* Bachelor’s degree preferably in Human Resources Management or Labor Relations.
* Minimum five years of progressive experience in Human Resources of which three years should be in Employee & Labor Relations.
* Effective oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
Preferred Qualifications: Masters degree in Human Resources or related fields.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $92,066 - $125,000 annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.